- This event has passed.
“Make Music Your Business” No.1 MFM Talk Series w. David Liebman
March 23 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm$10
Legendary Jazz Musician David Liebman In Conversation With Sohrab Saadat Ladjevardi
Attention: Join MFM today here for a free workshop !! Due to a technical problem on the registration page, please fill out form here to join MFM.
David Liebman will be the first invited professional musician who will be talking with MFM’s president and musician Sohrab Saadat Ladjevardi for MFM members and aspiring musicians how and why “making music and business” go hand in hand. He will provide real world advice using his experience as a jazz professional musician, educator, author and founder of his non-profit organization. Currently he’s artist in residence at the Manhattan School of Music and guest lecturer at both the University of Toronto and Berklee College of Music.
After the conversation a Q&A with the audience will take place. As a special treat, Liebman will open and close this event with a soprano sax solo.
David Liebman Quote
“Jazz musicians have become used to performing “for the door” or minimal pay. On any given night in New York City, the jazz center of the world, three bands or more a night mostly populated by young musicians attending one of the many jazz schools in the area, performing for ridiculously low fees. Having a recording deal with multiple releases, PR, tour support, etc., are unheard of by the younger generation, let alone publishing income, etc., etc. The demise of the record business and the economics of running a club are realities. Musicians For Musicians is trying to actively counteract this existing situation, developing solutions for individual musicians and the entire jazz business as a whole. Artists of all economic levels should be supportive. After all, it is our livelihood and art that are being downgraded as we speak. I support the efforts of MFM towards organizing musicians to develop a new paradigm.”
David Liebman’s Achievements
- David Liebman’s career has spanned nearly five decades, beginning in the early 1970s as the saxophone/flautist in both the Elvin Jones and Miles Davis Groups continuing as a bandleader. His current group Expansions just released a new album called Expansions Live.
- He has played on over five hundred recordings with nearly two hundred under his leadership and co-leadership.
- In jazz education he is a renowned lecturer and author of several milestone books: Self Portrait of A Jazz Artist, A Chromatic Approach To Jazz Harmony And Melody, Developing A Personal Saxophone Sound (translated into multiple languages) and his autobiography What It Is-The Life Of A Jazz Artist (Scarecrow Press).
- He founded and has been the artistic director of the International Association of Schools of Jazz (IASJ) since 1989, which is a worldwide network of schools from nearly 40 countries.
- Received following awards: NEA Jazz Master (2011), the Jazz Educators Network (JEN), Legends of Jazz (2013); the Order of Arts and Letters (France 2009); Jazz Journalist’s award for Soprano Saxophone (2007); Grammy nomination for Best Jazz Solo (1998); Honorary Doctorate from the Sibelius Academy (Finland-1997).
By coming together and tapping the creative power of the professional musician community, MFM strives to find realistic solutions for those who choose to make music for a living. MFM is created to facilitate the conversation, nurture a supportive community, and give professional musicians the resources they need to support themselves with their craft. By enabling a sustainable lifestyle for musicians, society at large will be enriched with better music!